- There are many things you can do to increase your chances of success in a divorce and many ways you can hurt your chances. Consulting with a divorce attorney will give you the knowledge you need to make sure you are not hurting your chances in a divorce.
- Sending mean and hostile letters, emails and text messages to your soon to be ex husband. This will become embarrassing evidence later on used by the opposing attorney. Divorce attorneys are very good at saving and presenting messages as evidence in court many months later. Don’t provide the other attorney evidence to use against you.
- Fail to financially prepare for your divorce. Divorces are expensive, attorney fees are not cheap so you may need to downsize and do whatever you need to do to be financially prepared.
- Quit your job and move out of town. This has the potential to be devastating to your case. Not only does this eliminate your source of income but it also puts yourself in a position where you may be forced to move back by court order. This hurts your financial stability and makes your residence unstable and creates a legal issue.
- Settling your case with unhappy terms, maybe with the expectation of changing it later. When a court order is put in place, other judges are reluctant to change it. So what you settle for now may have to last forever.
If you are facing divorce give us a call, we can help.
The Law Office of Jason M. Ward
120 S. Main Street – Suite B
Simpsonville, SC 29680
or submit our Consultation FormFAMILY LAW.